Cleaning White on Clegg FM-DX?

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 12 09:35:47 EST 2006

On 12/11/06, kd4e <kd4e at verizon.net> wrote:
> Anyone cleaned what I believe is tobacco yellowing
> on the white paint of a Clegg FM-DX (and the matching
> power supply)?

Not sure about the newer gear doc, but I've had very good luck on the
older Zeus/Interceptor gear using bleach (with panels removed, of
course). Clean well first with soap and water, dry, then mix up a
little bleach with warm water (can't remember if I also added a little
more soap). Scrub well. I used #0000 steel wooland very lightly
polished the panels just enough to make then snow white again but not
enough to remove the lettering. You might want to practice on a piece
of junk gear first to get your technique down.

The result is a clean, smooth, white panel. I'm guessing that the
original paint was porrous or otherwise not well-sealed, allowing the
yellow-brown stains to be absorbed right into it. Which would explain
why it doesn't just wash off with detergent.

You might want to query the Clegg reflector and see what others say.
It's a quiet list with a good number of lurkers.

73, Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ