CW controversy... let's give it a break

W5EUQ w5euq at VERIZON.NET
Thu Dec 21 18:15:05 EST 2006

I've been sitting back and not saying anything.   I have to agree with
Tom, NU4G.
*BIGGEST PROBLEM HERE as I see it, is CHANGE with a CAPITAL C, as in
CW.  Some adapt and some don't. Some spread negativism.*

1.  CW will not disappear.  It is too ingrained in our use of ham radio
ALL OVER THE WORLD.  Too many people love it and  many people will still
want to learn it..... just like before.

2.  Think about it. Do we take the test for all modes?  NO.  We don't
take the test for Emergency Operations like RACES and ARES.  We don't
have to pass efficiency tests on moon bounce, RTTY, PSK31, slow scan TV
and images, etc.  So why do we have to take tests for CW?  Do we have to
demonstrate that we can operate SSB efficiently?  I've heard some guys
on DXpeditions on SSB that I wish they had taken some kind of a "driving
test on ssb" before going to the DXpedition.

3.  CW was NEEDED before and during WWII.  Now days, we have graduated
to higher forms of communications.
Before you say I'm an SSBer or CBer...  I've been a ham since 1954, (14
years old) embracing CW right off.  I could do 35 WPM fairly soon after
I got my Novice license.  I got W1AW certificate for 35WPM by the time I
was 15 yrs old.  *I'm an avid CW dx hunter.*  Using SSB only when I need
that contact/entity..... otherwise, CW is it.  I do not like ragchewing
on SSB.  I am and love CW.

CHANGE..... sometimes it is better than it looks.  So let's wait to see
what happens.  We have survived lots of change. Yep, we sure have, and
will do so in the future.  One can BLAME anything on anything if they
want to.... Let's just give it a CHANCE...(CHANGE spelled a little
differently...hi)

By the way,  we should support QST just as we should support our
President of the US, no matter who they are or what party affiliation
they belong to.  MAINLY BECAUSE _they are representing
us.........US.........us..... we the people.... and they NEED our
support_.  *
Tell them your problems*, *tell them why you think they are wrong.*
Don't just spread cancerous words about them..... stand up and tell
them, the people you disagree with.... do it to them, not behind their
backs.  If you don't like what they are doing, then run for their office
and do it yourself.... otherwise, support them until you can vote them
out.    You want CHANGE but do NOT like CHANGE.

CHANGE is inevitable. I love God,  my country and HAM RADIO.  They are
all great.   Bob  PS don't tell my wife that I left her out.... HI.