CW controversy... let's give it a break

LM Picard lmpicard at ALLSTREAM.NET
Thu Dec 21 21:12:21 EST 2006

I agree that there has been far too much negativism and reluctance to
recognize that some change can be positive.

One change I do not wish to see is the loss of spectrum now assigned to
the HAM bands.

It is just a gut feeling but I think that phone modes are those that are
most likely to spark people's interest in amateur radio and keep them
engaged on the bands.

I don't think that any kind of unattended or automatic operation is
appropriate for the HAM bands.  If people need to access e-mail or surf
the net from a sailboat, the frequency allocation should come from the
utility bands, which I understand are becoming less used.   This type of
operation is best accomplished with tamper proof, strictly regulated
appliances, designed for appliance operators.