SSB ops clear down to 7000 kHz on 40m, Grrrr

Perry Ballinger w8au at SSSNET.COM
Fri Jan 20 13:57:56 EST 2006

At 09:18 AM 1/20/06, Mike D. wrote:
It is my opinion this comment is completely false.

  Glen Zook wrote:
> > Actually, I have never had a problem with copying CW through
> > an SSB station.  In fact, if you use a good CW filter you
> > probably won't even know that the SSB station is operating.
> > It is primarily those operators who are copying CW using SSB
> > filters (or wider) that are primarily having problems.  Those
> > are the same people who complain about other CW operators
> > that are over a KHz away in frequency.

Normally, it would be the reverse of the above.  You can null out a CW tone
in the midst of an audio reception, BUT, since the audio signal is at least
2.5 kHz wide, some of the audio frequencies will slide thru the narrowest
filter used for CW, and cause consternation and gnashing of teeth... plus
hammering of fists on table and uttering of FCC prohibited profanity!  :-)

w8au