What Companion Receiver to CE 20A?

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at UKY.EDU
Mon Jun 5 12:04:12 EDT 2006

It was a good match for the 75A series receivers but most people could not
afford them.  I used a SX101A until I replaced it with a SB301. As far as
amplifiers go I had used all sorts. Commercially the LA-400 was a good
economical one. I first used a pair of Homebrew 6146B's and then added a
G-G pair of 813's and changed to a pair of G-G 250th. Yep,  250th works in
grounded grid with a bit of grid bias. Last big amp was a 4-1000A. I then
dropped back down to a pair of 4CX250B's and got rid of the 2x 6146B driver.
     I personally think a good match would be a drake 2A even though I did
not have one back then. It  would look nice next to the VFO and is a good
SSB receiver.

    OH, I forgot my amplifier made with 4x  6AG7's in G-G with 1200 volts
plate voltage pressed into a big aluminum heat sink. All, I have left is my
homemade heat sink. Need to try that one again. Worked a lot of DX with
that strange amplifier. Had to condition the tubes by bringing the plate
voltage up a little at a time and letting them arc and then start the cycle
over again until getting to the full plate voltage value.  Used a big TV
plate supply transformer with a voltage doubler.

73
Bill wa4lav