The Unbuilt HW-101

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 13 09:27:29 EDT 2006

On 6/12/06, Lewis c Emerson <lemerson at juno.com> wrote:
<snip>
> If my working HW-101 (which I built in the early 1980s and have used ever
> since) is worth only $100 or so what am I offered to unsolder everything
> and sell it as a kit?

Someone was actually doing this a year or so back, I think it was
shortly after the unassembled AT-1 sold for over $4K. My recollection
is that they didn't sell for much, and the seller probably had a lot
more time in disassembling and cleaning up the parts than he ever got
for a bid. Others have taken apart perfectly good radios and auctioned
parts, perhaps making enough on the big items like audio transformers,
panels, knob sets and so on to offset their time and initial expense.
In the end, they are left with a lot of stuff that doesn't sell and
another complete radio is gone forever. Sometimes it's a good thing if
the radio was hacked up or otherwise shot and brings others back to
life, sometimes not. This was one of radio-mart's early ways of making
money.

I don't doubt that some people see these kits as well as other 'rare'
pieces of gear as investments. Others like the uniqueness perhaps,
still others may want to actually enjoy an experience they never got
to have because of being born too late, too poor, or anything else
that might have prevented them from building a kit radio.

Money is an issue only because we make it so. Some folks won't go
anywhere now unless absolutely necessary due to the price of gas,
while others just shrug it off. I've adjusted my traveling somewhat to
compensate, but I don't let the price stop me from living my life.
Just make adjustments elsewhere. Same thing goes for old gear. If I
want something badly enough, I'll find a way to get it. I'm not
narrow-minded enough to think others are wrong for doing things
differently than me, but rather accept that it's not for me.

If you still have all of the original packing materials like the
boxes, bags, and instructions for your rig Doc, you might find a buyer
for the disassemled version. So long as you do it for the enjoyment,
you can't go wrong. Just recovering the cost of your time at a really
low price seems unlikely.

de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ