identifying a radio

John Allen W4GQT JOHNGRU at AOL.COM
Sun May 21 17:57:22 EDT 2006

Glen, the receiver is certainly a BC-652 and the transmitter is the usual
companion to it, a BC-653. The mount is a FT-253 and these are part of the
SCR-506-A. The manual is  TM11-630, dated november 1944. "The equipment is designed
for installation in tanks, amphibian trucks, personnel carriers,comand cars
and many other vehicles." (per page 1 of the manual).
    It has 814 finals, suppressor grid modulated, for approx 30 watts, max in
A3 mode. It is the heaviest 30 watt transmitter AM I have ever used or seen!
It will run 50 to 90 watts CW if you are really nice to it. It's a neat
transmitter. The Rx is OK too, just rather broad (915 Khz IF frequency)

    If i can provide additional info, let me know.

Hope this helps, 73, john Allen,  W4GQT