GB> ADVANTAGES OF AM

Tom Clarke w4okw at GMPEXPRESS.NET
Tue May 30 23:14:01 EDT 2006

kd4e said:

> FM would work well, but it suffers from capture effect. If two stations
> transmit simultaneoulsy, one could cover up the other and it might not be
> realized. AM will give a heterodyne under many conditions where FM won't.
>
> Advantage: AM
----------Tom Sez-------------------------
I  have experienced this many times.  When a "double" occurs, the resulting
heterodyne (no two aircraft radios are exactly on the same freq!) makes it
apparent that a transmission was blocked. Someone usually pipes up with
"blocked!" and the controller repeats.  Crude, but effective.

>If every airplane listened to every other one they'd
>be terribly confused.

----------Tom Sez---------------------------------
Actually there is an advantage to the "party line" here. It is a great
method of maintaining "situational awareness".  By listening to all the
other aircraft (in your general area, not the whole country, obvioiusly),
you can maintain a "mental plot" of where everyone is in the pattern or
along the airway in your sector.   It is fun to quiz your copilot by asking
him "what altitude was that Delta 75 at"? Just to see if he is aware of the
guy climbing up behind you and leveling a thousand below!!  Grammatically
atrocious, but an interesting exercise.
>When I am in an airport monitoring traffic I observe
>multiple frequencies with multiple conversations.
--------------Tom sez---------------------------
You bet!  Trying to listen to ground, tower, and approach control would be a
nightmare!  You wouldn't have any SA at all!

BTW HF Aeronautical switched to SSB years ago for all the good reasons
prevously noted.  That little Collins box down in the avionics bay, that
puts out 400W PEP is a wonder.  Can you imagine the size of a 400 watt AM
rig?  You would have to leave a couple of Pax behind or some gas!

Try 5598, 8946, 13306 on the East coast and 10051 for New York and Gander
weather broadcasts.  11175 is an interesting mil frequency too (Andrews
among others).

73 de Tom/W4OKW
Just a kid with 15,000 hours "breaking the surly bonds".