Best QSO in ages...

Brian Carling bcarling at CFL.RR.COM
Thu Sep 14 18:29:11 EDT 2006

I just finished an unusual 10 wpm CW contact on 40m
CW with a station in Huntsville, AL that really brightened
up my day.

I looked up the other station on the web while we
were talking and discovered that he just got his ticket
in August!

It started to get more interesting when he sent:
"AGE HR IS 15."   How encouraging!
A YOUNG person getting on CW and loving it!

Next he tells me he got his Technician license when
he was just 13 years old!

We chatted about our rigs. He was using  Drake TR7
and putting a good strong signal down here into central
Florida.

Here's a youngster that has NOT been totally abosrbed
by computers, the internet, rap, sports and countless other
evils of 21st century youth.

It bodes well for the future of ham radio when you hear
teenagers enjoying it, and especially when they are
running CW instead of blabbing into some trashy UHF
walkie-talkie rig.

The QSL card is already stamped and ready to mail to him!

73 de AF4K, Bry