FWD: Vintage recordings and preservation

Brian Carling bcarling at CFL.RR.COM
Tue Sep 19 09:24:25 EDT 2006

W5AMI writes:

Within the next week, I will create a an upload system on the web that
will allow those who already have MP3's or WAV recordings of vintage
QSOs to send the file directly to an archive so that we can start
getting all these in one place for playback.

I've developed a MySQL database system that was for use in scientific
analysis and observations that I can modify to work more along the
lines of this project, allowing users to categorize and/or filter the
recordings they want to see listed, such as date range, mode,
call-sign, region, etc., all dynamically.  It would be a start at
least, and I wouldn't have to code a a new system from scratch.  So,
the bottom line is this; soon after we start collecting enough MP3
files in the archive to make it worthwhile, they will be available for
anyone to listen to.

Some of you have mentioned that you already have some audio files, so
hang on to them and I will inform the group as soon as the upload
section is complete and how you can access it.

With John's (KB6SCO) contribution in the media transfer/conversion and
needed clean-up, I truly think this project could develop into a
wonderful resource in amateur radio history.

I want to openly thank all of those who have expressed interest in
this project so far.  The amount of email I've received already has
been an eye opener for me to see this through.  My time is limited,
however I will do as much as I can to keep things interesting.  John's
gracious offer to convert the media for anyone has added to the
reality of this concept.

Remember, regardless of the media you have, John can most likely
convert it, and return your original.  John and I will work together
on centralizing the archives so that the audio can be accessed in one
place by means of browsing or search-able database queries.  All you
will need is a player for your operating system, Windows, Linux, etc.
that will support MP3 media files.

Thanks Again!

Brian / w5ami
PS: Don't forget to spread the word that we are in search of vintage
recordings of actual QSO's!