DX-100 question

Garey Barrell k4oah at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Aug 16 09:55:08 EDT 2007

John -

There are several reasons for changing from 5R4s to 866(A)s.  Some more
important than others!

1.  The 5R4s lose about 50-60 Volts in EACH diode.  So that's a little
over 20W lost in each tube, and a reduction of 50VDC in the high voltage
applied to the final tubes in the DX-100.  The 866(A) only drops about
15 Volts in each diode.  Less heat lost in the rectifiers / more HV to
the final.

2.  That pretty blue glow, that pulses with keying or modulation.
Unfortunately, it's relatively unseen inside the DX-100 cabinet,
although you can lift the top of the B cabinet!  NO other rectifier
offers THIS "feature".  3B28s offer the efficiency, but are essentially
dark in operation.  SS rectifiers are more efficient, losing less than
one volt per diode, but ...  YUK!  NO GLOW!

The downside of the 866(A) is that it ONLY operates in the vertical,
base down orientation, and MUST be warmed up for at least a minute or
two at each operation session.  This relatively fast warm up only
applies if the tube orientation has NOT been disturbed since the last
time!  IF the tube(s) have been disturbed, a MINIMUM of 30 minutes warm
up is necessary.  This can make it (even more) difficult to work on the
DX-100 with it turned on it's side.  Can't do it!!  I kept a pair of
3B28s to use in my Valiant for just this purpose.  :-)

You hear all sorts of horror stories about mercury vapor rectifiers, but
99% of them are the result of improper use, most often insufficient warm
up before application of high voltage.  They run for decades in
commercial transmitters and ham transmitters, as long as they are
treated properly, i.e., warmed up sufficiently before application of HV.

73, Garey - K4OAH
Glen Allen, VA

Drake 2-B, 4-B & C-Line Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>