Smallest Dual-6146 HF Transmitter?

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 23 11:11:23 EDT 2007

The Knight T-150 and T-150A were screen modulated but
had provision for using a plate modulator.  They weigh
under 30 pounds.

Glen, K9STH

--- john <johnmb at NC.RR.COM> wrote:

At 09:56 PM 8/22/2007, kd4e wrote:

I am looking for a compact dual-6146 transmitter,
preferably 160-10M, or something with a dual-6146
final that I can modify.

It must either be designed to handle AM plate
modulation at 100W or have enough room in the final RF
section for me to modify it.

I think you're in for a hunt! I can't think of any of
the dual 6146 rigs that will do what you ask, with out
the hernia. Viking II, Apache, DX100...all herina
makers, so that let's out Johnson and Heath. If you're
willing to settle for a single 6146 (only half an
S-unit down, remember) the Ranger would fill the bill.
While it may not induce a full hernia,  it might raise
your voice an octave or so, but it's a fine rig.

As far as I recall, neither Eico, Knight, Swan, Yaesu,
or Eldico made a dual 6146 rig, plate modulated AM.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com