TORCHIERE TORTURE!

w7fe w7fe at COX.NET
Thu Dec 20 23:18:06 EST 2007

I use balanced antennas and a rather extensive ground system in the
second-floor shack per the K9STH design guide, but I had the same symptoms
here with a nice new touch-control table lamp the XYL brought home.  I took
it apart and tried ferrites on the leads, then bigger ferrites with a couple
of turns on each lead..... no effect.  I gave up, and we sold the lamp at
the next garage sale.

Then there was my old "tablet" computer with the little pen.  The pen is
powered, and probably is a tiny transmitter, although I'm not sure of that.
I do know that the thing sure went bonkers when I tried to use it in the
shack as a PSK controller.  I sold the computer at the next hamfest and got
an old ThinkPad for PSK31.

When I remodeled our walk-in closet a few years ago, I got the bright idea
to use a motion sensor to control the ceiling fixture in there.  Very
slick...walk into the closet and the light comes on, goes out after about 15
seconds of no further motion.  XYL loves it... I'm a hero, right?  Well, the
motion detector circuitry turns out to be a great 40M receiver as well, so
when I transmit at virtually any power level on 40M, the closet light comes
on and the "Off" timing extends to about 5 minutes.  "How quaint", says the
XYL, or sometimes something more colorful, especially late in the evening
when she's trying to get to sleep. Then she just grumbles, gets up, and
closes the closet door.  So I haven't tried to fix it...or sell it...or her.

Anyway, good luck, Bry. I think your torchiere lamp is destined for an new
home at least a block away from any source of RF.... or, maybe the "torch
(acetylene or similar) the torchiere" treatment is in order...a sure-fire
fix.

Merry Christmas and Happy SK Night.

73 de Stu, W7FE