HQ-170 part needed and cleaning advice needed.

Kevin Thomas kg9il at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Mon Jan 1 20:52:02 EST 2007

Thanks to all for your responses. Have a transformer coming and some
great advice on the other issues!

73
Kevin
KG9IL

-----Original Message-----
From: Boat Anchor Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV] On Behalf Of Kevin Thomas
Sent: Monday, January 01, 2007 5:17 PM
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: [BOATANCHORS-TEMPE] HQ-170 part needed and cleaning advice
needed.

Hi all!

Been working on a HQ-170 today. Symptoms were no audio out but the meter
deflected when I turned the calibrator on. Traced it to an open on the
input side of the audio isolation transformer T29. I have a schematic
but no manual/parts list. Can anyone give me an idea of what this part
is?   Does anyone have a basket case with a good T29 in it?

Also on the vernier dial the capacitor does not turn or it slips when I
turn the large knob. It looks like there is some sort of ball
bearing/reduction drive in there? Any tips on cleaning/repairing it so
it works again?

Lastly, this baby is DIRTY!  I have heard horror stories about giving
Hammarlunds a bath. I have been successful in the past with other makes
by using a pressure washer turned down a bit with warm soapy water, then
putting it out in the hot summer sun for a few hours...any advice here?

THANKS

Kevin
KG9IL