[FLBOATANCHORS] Re: 160 Meter AM Question - Transverter

kd4e kd4e at VERIZON.NET
Mon Jan 29 13:26:23 EST 2007

> You don't want to run it Class C, as it will distort the SSB signal.
> To run AM, it would be better to build an exciter with Class C finals
> and Class B Audio. It would be an inefficient way to run AM using
> such a transverter, because you would have to drop the drive from 40m
> to drive the transverter, and then you would be looking at
> inefficiency of the 6146 as a linear(AB1). Joe W4AAB

I thought that I had read of designs where a switching
mechanism would allow the amp to run in Class C or AB1
mode.  Is the reality that attempting that not recommended?

So an all-mode transverter either has to run inefficiently
in AB1 mode or utilize dual TX sections, one for SSB
and the other for AM/CW/Digital/FM?

Is DSB likely to be harmed as badly as SSB by Class C?

I know that I should know that but I don't remember
what I used to know about that!

I could consult a Handbook but it is more entertaining
to have a keyboard-Internet-keyboard QSO.  :-)

--

Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
Projects: http://ham-macguyver.bibleseven.com