{Collins} Checking crystals

Bob W5EUQ w5euq at VERIZON.NET
Sat Jul 14 11:46:29 EDT 2007

You are welcome Mr. Culpepper, fellow broadcaster.

Re other comments received.
Postscript:
This testing is not meant to be for precision gear crystal testing.  I
use it in choosing crystals, in determining quality, etc., for gear like
Heathkits, Swans, Drakes, Collins, etc.  This test setup is typically
good enough for this.

For example, I took all of the crystals out of one of my KWM2A's and
tested them.  I charted them and was very surprised in the results.
Some were pretty weak but still worked.  Some were off frequency as
indicated when bands were changed and the calibration dial had to be
reset, not just a little, but a lot.  It helped give me some insight as
to why the KWM2A worked the way it did on some bands.

Another example is that some Heathkit crystals are a long way off, but
still work.  When changing bands one may find the dial to be a long way
off on some bands.  One can spend hours trying to "calibrate" one of
these rigs only to become frustrated.

So I  charted the crystals here too.  Having some parts units to pick
from, using this test method allowed me to choose crystals that would be
closer to the frequency needed and/or may be stronger and better
crystals.  Still maybe not "right on" in calibrations, but closer.

Nostalgia is setting in.  We used to take the old crystal apart and
clean them.  When I was a novice in 1954, we even ground crystals to a
different frequency.  Not too different, just a couple of
kilocycles(oops... kilohertz), using substances like toothpaste to grind
them. Being very careful to apply pressure evenly, going slow and using
a uniform grinding pattern, like a circle or an 8.    It was fun.

Now days, with the hermetically sealed crystals, we take what we get.
Sometimes parallel capacitances can  be changed to "pull them on
frequency".    A whole different subject.

Bob  W5EUQ (old Broadcaster too, 50 years last December.  I started when
I was two...hi)