[MOPAGROUP] RE: Gentlemen, Start your engines - file comments now!

Bry Carling bcarling at CFL.RR.COM
Mon Mar 26 19:13:45 EDT 2007

> Winlink is a growing problem . It is effectively 'commercial' operation in
> that the operation is exclusive to those who buy the pactor-loaded modem
> from
> the originating suppliers..  It encourages swathes of sailing people ( I
> do
> not blame them ) to do the minimum to get a 'licence' to obtain e-mail by
> radio.Their interest in ham radio is no greater than mine is in gardening
> when
> I walk through the park.
>
> From a 'commercial' viewpoint the German devisers of the system are
> clever,
> but it should be recognised as commercial use of amateur band-space which
> is
> to be deplored in my view.
>
> G3GVB

VERY well put, Brian, and the analogies are excellent...

We just need to get the word out to radio amateurs, but I regretfully
believe that too many of us just have no clue about the values
that have been held for so long in the amateur radio service.

G3XLQ