S-40B Question

Alan W. Fremmer AWFremmer at AOL.COM
Fri May 18 09:56:18 EDT 2007

Fellow Collectors/Restorers,

Recently acquired a Hallicrafters S-40B receiver on eBay.  This model  was
the first shortwave radio I got as a gift from my father when I was 14 or 15
years old.  Of course, haven't a clue as to what became of the original and
regret losing track of it. This radio works quite well and I'm pleased with it
overall.

My first question has to do with whether there were variants of this
particular model.  Most I've seen have the normal dial and switch settings
highlighted in red.  Mine has a white dot over the normal settings.   The radio does
not appear to be modified in any way.  Manufacture date is  August 20, 1953.

The second question has to do with tubes that were replaced by the previous
owner.  There are several glass envelope tubes present as opposed to the
usual metal envelope types.  Would this have any adverse affect on  performance?

Thanks in advance for any responses to my query.

73, Alan - KB2HEI