S-40B Question

Richard Post postr at OHIOU.EDU
Fri May 18 13:18:08 EDT 2007

Alan,

An S-40B and an S-77A (AC-DC version of the S-40B) are next in line
to my "latest on the bench".  Both have the red high-lighted
settings.  Sensitivity control has a red dot.  If yours has no red
coloring at all, then I assume Hallicrafters reduced its cost by
using a  single-color silk screen.  The only native glass tubes are
the rectifier (5Y3GT) and the audio output tube (6K6GT).

Substituting glass tubes for metal seems to make very little
difference except for circuits with very critical capacitance or
shielding needs (see my notes on the SX-43 where I found out the hard
way that the second oscillator MUST be a metal tube).  In a circuit
such as a S-40B, a slight alignment tweak might be needed in the IF
or RF stages where the substitution is made in order to get peak
performance due to minor changes in tube capacitance.

I ran across a 1938 Philco in great cosmetics where the opposite had
been done, metal tubes substituted for glass tubes that originally
had shields.  Resulted in the mother of all howling feedback!  The
circuit with glass tubes had no connections at pin 1.  Therefore the
metal substitute tubes had pin one NOT CONNECTED to ground. The metal
shells acted like capacitors from one tube to the next.  After the
"fix", probably very early in the life of the set, In assume it just
sat in the attic.

73 de Rich KB8TAD

<http://tinyurl.com/hexco>