5881 Replacement for 6L6? - CORRECTION 6L6GB

Richard Post postr at OHIOU.EDU
Sun Nov 18 18:50:21 EST 2007

Hi Doc,

I would definitely use the 5881 pair.  The RCA RC-19 tube manual
gives the 5881 a somewhat greater maximum rating in both plate volts
and watts but for "typical operation" and "average plate
characteristics" the reader is referred to 6L6GB.

I'm told that the 5881 is a milspec 6L6GB.

The 6L6GC is the next generation and has even higher maximum ratings.
Think of the 5881 as a slightly beefed up 6L6GB and the 6L6GC as a
major step up.

73,
Rich KB8TAD