5881 Replacement for 6L6? - CORRECTION 6L6GB

Scott Johnson scottjohnson1 at COX.NET
Wed Nov 21 09:50:39 EST 2007

TRhe 5881's will easily handle 500V, and often did, even in military
equipment.  The 5881 is a button base tube, which gives much better
isolation than the older press seal tubes (even the KT-66 had a press
seal).  I have also had good results using 5881's in Hi-Fi amps, I think
yopur experience with the guitar amps may have been bias related, or you
simply had bad tubes. I have a Soundcraftsmen mono amplifier that drives
my shop radio speaker with 6L6WGB/5881's in it, it runs at 425 Va, and
it has been playing on the same set of tubes for about ten years now.

Scott W7SVJ