Shipping older radios & insurance claims

Greg Gore; WA1KBQ GARDGORE at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 25 14:13:56 EST 2007

When you buy a microwave oven, computer or a TV the packaging is  always
designed by a packaging engineer to best absorb and distribute the forces  likely
to be encountered in the shipping process. When old second hand radio
equipment is shipped a packaging engineer is never called upon. The proper way  to
ship is to absorb the impact on the 8 corners with thick styrofoam corner
protectors but no one ever does this. Instead just about all packing is done so
forces are directly applied to front panels and knobs so that everything is
bent, warped and twisted. Why don't we pack so forces are taken and distributed
at the strongest point on the cabinets, namely the 8 corners? We go out and
pay  $50 for a huge roll of bubble wrap or worse yet, the dreaded styrofoam
peanuts convinced we know what we are doing and when things go wrong  it's gotta
be the other guy's fault. After all we have been shipping for 25  years or
whatever so if something happens it can't be our fault can  it?

Greg