Shipping older radios & insurance claims

J Forster jfor at QUIK.COM
Sun Nov 25 14:34:14 EST 2007

Hi Greg,

A couple of points:

1. Modern packaging is JUST good enough so product does not get busted in shipment too
often. The unit is DESIGNED to survive shipment and the corner blocks are the cheapest
way of protecting the unit. Packaging is also very cost driven.

2. Older gear was likely designed to be shipped with a lot more than 2" of padding.
Modern styrofoam is much less shock absorbing than rubberized horse hair or excelsior.
Styrofoam ONLY helps once, when the forces are enough to crush it. Otherwise it
behaves as a rigid body. Just walk on it to see for yourself. Bubble pack is a better
choice, used intelligently. It's basically a problem of choosing the right packing
material....  soft enough to cushion, yet hard enough not to squish flat.

Best,
-John