Shipping older radios & insurance claims

Rinkie & Ron Pollack rinkies at ROADRUNNER.COM
Mon Nov 26 21:58:48 EST 2007

Interesting thread.  My experience with FedEx (Home delivery):

I shipped a scanner, very light and solid state, and packed in a single box
with padding and I think peanuts.  The sale price was about $115, so extra
insurance wasn't indicated.  It arrived smashed to bits (only damage in
dozens of shipments by them.)  Filed a claim. Within a few days, they went
to the recipient and picked up the broken item and packaging.  They sent me
a check for $100 (insurance amount) plus the shipping charge, and returned
the unit to me.  I refunded the entire amount to the purchaser.  Later, I
sold the broken one for parts at a hamfest, and came out ahead a few bux!
Admittedly, it was a small claim, but there was no attempt to weasel out by
claiming indadequate packaging, for which they could have made a case!  I
cannot fault them at all!

As far as the disclaimer for unusual old and valuable items:  A couple of
posters made the comment that they accepted the higher premium for the
insurance.  However, I don't think that FedEx asks about nature of the
contents when insurance is purchased, but perhaps they should!  Could be
wrong about this, tho!

My personal philosophy:  In general, I don't ship very heavy or delicate
equipment at all.  I wait until I find something (or a buyer) within a
reasonable distance, and go get it or meet the other party half way.  This
also has the advantage of seeing the item to get an idea if it's as
represented.  Of course, I live in densely populated Southern California
with 15 million folk within a couple hour drive!  If I were in the middle of
South Dakota, I might have a different policy!

Ron K2RP