One Man's Attempt To Save Morse Code

Bry Carling bcarling at CFL.RR.COM
Tue Oct 9 13:11:42 EDT 2007

Doc,

In case you missed this one:

Responding to Forrest's 'SPARK'  message and the WSJ
front page article on morse code, RON, AC7AC writes:

I agree.

As several folks have observed before, if being "obsolete" meant a
technology would no longer be used no one would be riding horses these
days,
yet we have as many, if not more, horses in use in the USA today than we
did
a century ago!

(Keep in mind that we have a LOT more people too! But I suspect Morse
will
be affected the same way.)

Taking the analogy further, there are situations where a horse is the
most
efficient and economical solution for getting around. Sure we have the
technology to replace them with machines everywhere, but sometimes those
machines are far more expensive considering the situation and need.
Sometimes a horse just makes more sense, economically and practically.
In
communications, I suspect that will be true of Morse for many decades or
centuries to come.

Ron AC7AC