Need some smartness from U folks

J Forster jfor at QUIK.COM
Tue Oct 9 18:41:40 EDT 2007

Jim Bromley, K7JEB wrote:

> This brings up a question that has puzzled me for quite
> some time:  If one is looking at an oscilloscope display
> of a sine wave and wants to talk about an individual,
> complete movement of the trace in both the positive
> and negative directions, what does one call it?

One cycle

> Previously one would have called it an individual *cycle*
> of the waveform.  However, nowadays with our electrical
> units honoring dead Europeans so much, and particularly
> one Heinrich Hertz, should one use the honorifically correct
> term of *hertz-second* instead?

I'm not aware of any specific unit, beyond a cycle, similar to the Joule =
Watt-Second for energy.


> The expiring mind of K7JEB wants to know.....

This list is a public service of the City of Tempe, Arizona

Subscription control -
Archives -

More information about the Boatanchors mailing list