Need some smartness from U folks

Michael NØXY michael72 at BINARY.NET
Tue Oct 9 22:45:36 EDT 2007

Looking at a trace of a sine wave on an oscilloscope, starting at some
point on the waveform, then following it completely through until it is
at the same amplitude, and going the same direction as where you started
is one cycle. One complete cycle is how you think of it, regardless of
how fast or slow it repeats.

Now when you start talking about how many times it repeats in one
second, THEN you are talking about frequency and the term Hertz is used.

I was around when cps was used. It does not bother me a bit that they
honored Mr. Hertz the way they did. Nobody bitches about Ohms, Volts,
Amperes, or Joules, why the big hangup with Hertz?

My take on it is there are a lot of people that like to type KC, and
then say "Oh, I mean kHz" just to show that they are from the old
school, meaning they are important in their own minds, old timers, more
experienced than others, smarter... put in your own word.

Personally, I just laugh at them when they do it. Nobody in the
electronics industry where I earn a living says KC, MC, or any other C
unless of course they are describing an event they are seeing on the
screen of a scope.

If someone wants to say KC, I think it is fine, no problem for me. But
to actually take the time to consciously type it as KC, then correct
themselves, is pretty strange IMO.

I won't live to see it, but eventually all the self correcting KC to
kHz'ers will be dead and folks won't have to endure them any more.

Probably not a real popular thing to say on this list, but what the
heck, it is the truth.

Michael
N0XY