10/11 meter amps-my 2cents

Jim Bromley, K7JEB k7jeb at COX.NET
Sat Sep 22 15:09:11 EDT 2007

Jim Simmons wrote:
> Maybe instead of CQ, he wanted you to say, "Hey anyone
> out there got your ears on? Come on back good buddy".
> Personally, I don't know what FM has to do with it, and
> the purpose of communication is to make yourself
> understood.  If the other person understands you...Mission
> accomplished.

Well, OK, here's the deal with FM, and yes, it deals with
boatanchors since the FM I'm talking about was all done with
those old two-case Motorola beasts (FMTRU-30D) that were
full of loctal tubes.

FM radio procedure for a general call was simply to key the
mike, let the dynamotor build up revs for a second and announce
your callsign.  Since everyone was crystal-controlled with
squelched receivers, you would be immediately heard by everyone
on the frequency.  If you wanted to be a little more verbose, you
could append the word "listening".  If you really wanted to go
overboard and skirt dangerously with being a cop wannabe, you
could announce your callsign and add "10-8".

The point was that calling CQ on VHF-FM for anything more than
a few seconds was (and still is) superfluous.

Jim, K7JEB