Why are metal tubes suddenly valuable?

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 28 12:13:32 EDT 2007

On 9/28/07, Mike Langner <mlangner at swcp.com> wrote:
> Yes, the "golden ears" are purchasing metal tubes like crazy.  I've sold a
> handful of 'em on eBay -- all but two went overseas, and all went to "music
> interests."  In my opinion, these are the same folks that put bricks atop
> their amplifiers to keep the room vibrations from coloring the sound, prefer
> vinyl, if they use CD's make certain they've used a green magic marker to
> make the edges of their CD's green, and put weights on all their unshielded
> glass tubes to stop the unwanted "resonances."

Particularly funny since I offered a bunch of metal 6V6s to one of the
audiophools in the last 5-10 years and was told they didn't have the
same, warm ambiance/resonance/one of those warm/fuzzy terms. No one
wanted them then, only the glass versions (since they were plentiful
and cheap maybe?).

Had a feeling that they'd become fashionable at some point. Glad I
hung onto them. Nothing but the best for my old radio gear. :D

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ