BC611

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 28 15:18:58 EDT 2007

On 9/27/07, L.G. Robertson <digital-conjurers at roadrunner.com> wrote:
> Well, so much for the "Ya gotta have at least 300 watts to run AM om 75"
> crowd...

Well, considering they're in Europe with little AM activity and more
restrictions, not at all.

AM on 75m in North America is an entirely different animal. I recall
running 100 watts back in the early 90s and nights I couldn't be heard
or if heard, was classified as 'pissweak' due to noise and
interference issues.

Other than the occasional, rare 'quiet' night, most of the low power
guys run their Elmacs, cakepans, and DX-60s mornings and days, or
early evening before things get loud.

OTOH, we hear a lot of low power stations down on 80m AM. I've worked
a number of ricebox mobiles and other small rigs around 3710-3750.
It's nice, really.

But that's not the 75m ghetto, either.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ