NC-200

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 13 18:57:14 EDT 2008

Does anyone know for sure what type of lubricant was used in the NC-200 (as well as the NC-100 and variants, NC-2-40C and NC-2-40D) on the moving coil rack and gear drive?  Also, was anything used on the coil contacts?

Whatever was used on my NC-200 had basically "dried up" on the gear that moves the rack, on the rod sliding assembly, and there was all sorts of this "gunk" on the contacts.  It took a major effort to clean all of this from the coil rack and from the coil contacts.

I found out why the gear was stripped.  One of the coil pin contacts was bent and was catching on one of the main contacts.  The former owner was trying to force the rack to move and eventually stripped the gear.  Unfortunately, the pin broke when I tried to bend it back.  Had to replace it with a 4-40 screw which was the same diameter using epoxy to hold it to the coil assembly.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com