SX-28 Crystal Filter Alignment

Brian Sherwood ka9egw at BRITEWERKZ.COM
Sat Dec 13 10:01:17 EST 2008

Also have a look at
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:dcPdOkrlzmoJ:pcbunn.cithep.caltech.edu/j
jb/Hallicrafters/SX28/SX-28_IF_ALIGNMENT_PROCEDURE.pdf+crystal+filter+alignm
ent&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us

-----Original Message-----
From: Boat Anchor Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of Brian Sherwood
Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 7:55 AM
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: SX-28 Crystal Filter Alignment

I've never found a comprehensible procedure, not in any of my BA manuals nor
in the Sams photofact for the HQ129.

What I've always done, is couple a sweep grnerator into the rf input, hook
the scope's vertical input to the last IF output, hook the sweeping voltage
to the horizontal input, thereby developing an on-screen display of the IF
strip's bandpass, and from there it's pretty simple to twiddle cores and
trimmers until the 'phasing' control is balanced at 12-o'clock [when the
notch goes away and the overall bandpass tightens way up].

50's-early-60's-era ARRL handbooks actually explain 'single-signal reception
with crystal filter' the best of all available resources IMHO...

BUT do make sure you check out
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors/msg/145c0341600
3c51d

73 de ka9egw