Vertical Radial Installation

Al Parker anchor at EC.RR.COM
Tue Feb 5 21:18:59 EST 2008

Hi Bruce,
    Well, I'm sure your research has told you "mo is betta", and the mfgr
will recommend plenty, so they can tell you you didn't have enuf when you
ask about performance.
    I'm not sure if you're asking about how many, or how to install, but
you've read about how many, and they probably don't give many ideas on how
to install.
    I have a corded e;ectric edger for walkways, etc., which hasn't gotten
used much for that purpose, but I installed a straight blade that will cut
about a 1-1/2" deep slot in the turf, presto quicko, at whatever length you
have room for.  That's the easy part.  I end up pressing radial wire down in
the slot with a piece of flat steel about 1/8" thick by 1-1/2" wide,
hunkering my way across the lawn.  I've pictured making a sandwich of 3
circular discs ~ 1/8" thick, maybe 8 or 10" dia., with a shaft for an axle,
& a  handle, like a bicycle wheel rim sorta, and just running (slowly, but
lots faster than hunkering) and pressing the wire in as I went.  Haven't
done that yet, still am many radials short of plenty, so maybe someday.
    I hope that brings up a helpful image.  I had a bunch of short reels of
insulated, stranded  #14 wire given to me a yr or so ago, most have 75 ft or
so on them, I've spliced a few for 160m radials, and used some ~64 & 32 ft
lg for 80 & 40m, for my inverted L.  Uninsulated stranded wouldn't last long
buried, but insulated oughta last at least several yrs, and I can't complain
about the cost.  I've heard of using galvanized (steel) electric fence wire.
Aluminum won't last long in most soils, bare copper OK, but $$ now.
    YMMV
73,
Al, W8UT
New Bern, NC