Off topic

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jul 20 21:03:31 EDT 2008

I believe that there is a separate battery inside the unit that has almost "nil" current draw that sustains the memory when the main battery is removed.  Although these batteries last for several years they do eventually go bad and have to be replaced.

Now I am not familiar with the particular unit.  However, the majority of these batteries are soldered into the circuit rather than using some sort of battery holder.  You will have to remove the covers from the unit and carefully look around for the battery.  Replacement batteries should be readily available.  If you cannot find the exact replacement a battery of similar size should work fine.

I have an old Kenwood TR7850 2-meter FM transceiver that uses an AA battery for the memory function.  The battery in my unit seems to last about a year to a year and a half before needing replacement.  Newer units have much smaller batteries and those seem to last a lot longer.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com