[Boatanchors] Upgrade question

The Pollacks rinkies at ATT.NET
Fri Sep 12 22:23:54 EDT 2008

As we're all into nostalgia....

My father drove the 80 or so miles to New York City to bring 14 year old me
to take the General Exam in 1960.  (The rule for conditional was 75 airline
miles; we were just inside the line.)  It was in the old Federal Building on
Washington Street, near Cortland Street, NY's old radio row.  The examiner
was the same cranky old cigar smoke who ruled forever!  Passed it.  The
building and all of radio row was later demolished to build the World Trade
Center.

Long 'bout 1970, incentive licensing in full force, and I was married and
living on Long Island.  Took the Long Island Railroad into New York, same
building, same examiner!  Passed that one too!

Not such a dramatic story...no climbing hills in the blowing snow, carrying
my surfboard, but fond memories nonetheless!

Ron K2RP

-----Original Message-----
From: Boat Anchor Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV] On Behalf Of Bob Peters
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 11:36 AM
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: [Boatanchors] Upgrade question

Gee Carl sounds familiar... I took the train the good old Maine Central from
Bangor to Boson in 1959 to take my commercial exam... Passed the 3rd and 2nd
at the Customs House... I had a Conditional Amateur ticket and I wanted to
get the real thing well guess what I flunked it by 1 question!!! The old
examiner looked at me and said " Son I cannot do that to you, Your just
tired, Since you passed the 2nd consider you are a General." About 6 weeks
later I got all three in the mail. Not allowed to drink adult stuff was just
17 ...By the way got the Extra and First in the early 70's..

Bob W1PE