AM PORTABLE 40 M

LEE BAHR pulsarxp at EMBARQMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 9 14:19:01 EDT 2009

I feel the same way, Wilson.  $149 for one frequency at 2.5 watts of AM is
crazy.  Who would even want to run an AM handheld unless you are one in a
million guys, anyway?   Why not convert and old CB radio and learn something
or do as you say, fix up an old novice set-up?  I am also a QRPer and just
saw a computer defined QRP  CW transceiver kit is now being sold for one
band at $149.  To run it you need an additional computer and you now can run
5 watts CW on one band!  Single band or dual band QRP CW transceiver kits
are being sold at over $200 now.  I say nuts, crazy, you have to be kidding.
For QRP I have gone back to etching my own boards and building simple
transmitters or receivers.  You can also buy inexpensive PC boards for
projects from FAR Circuits.  I am satisfying my needs these days by doing
the above and  fixing up old Novice type transmitters and receivers.  These
small QRP radios for $150 to $200 are not in my "buy list" these days.

As a side note, the ARRL is crazy too!  The cost of their publications is
through the roof.  As a 12 year old kid in the 50s doing baby sitting and
doing a paper route allowed me to afford buying their publications.  Today I
am retired, have a nice comfortable living and don't feel I can afford or
justify buying their books.  It will be a cold day in hell when I pay $50
for a $10 book.  They have little in them I am interested in, anyway.  (I
already know how to put on a coax connector or arrange my gear on a table
top).  You are better off buying old ARRL handbooks from the 40s, 50s, and
60s.  I spend a lot of money on ham radio but it is not on 2 watt AM one
frequency rigs or on mostly useless expensive books.

Lee, w0vt