Voltage Regulator Tubes

Meir WF2U wf2u at WS19OPS.COM
Tue Aug 4 16:28:22 EDT 2009

Bob,

If you're getting out of the tube 128 volts, seems like it's not regulating.
Measure the current across the voltage dropping resistor which is
feeding the regulator tube. The current which has to be going through
the tube to ignite and thereby regulate is around 15 mA, so if you're
not getting at least that much current across the dropping resistor,
it's positively not regulating. I never saw a regulator tube of that
family that aged to the point that it changed regulated output voltage
by that much, provided it was fed correctly.
Anyway the current across the dropping resistor should be 15 mA + the
current draw of the circuit supplied by the regulated voltage, which
is probably less than 5 mA (I don't have the SX-73 book to look at as
I'm at work...). I have a great working  SX-73 which required only a
shorted capacitor replacement in the bias circuit.

73, Meir WF2U
Landrum, SC