Modulation impact when amplifying a DSB signal?

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at UKY.EDU
Mon Feb 16 12:17:44 EST 2009

     In an old very radio handbook there was a high-level SSB generator. It
used two pairs of 807's as two balanced modulators and both screen
modulated.  The screen modulators were fed by an audio phase shift network
and the balanced modulators were fed in quadrature.
     Also,  I don't know how much efficiency advantage plate modulation has
over  lower level modulation with a linear amplifier.
Sure the class c amplifier can will operate from 75 to as much as 90
percent efficiency but the modulator still is limited to
67% or so and you have all those filaments to heat.  Plate modulated class
C amplifier system will be more efficient but
not a whole lot more overall, at least during steady modulation  during
music programs etc.

73
Bill wa4lav