Are 813's suitable for HF SSB?

Dale Putnam daleputnam at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 25 23:16:02 EST 2009

Hey Hi Doc,

  Well, the pair that I used for years, G-G, for a full kw on ssb, cw, reduced for rtty, seemed to work just fine.. I did replace them once... but that wasn't because they had a fault.. more like air leakage.. sudden like... when they had something dropped on them.

but that is a story for another time. But the only thing that the amp had a problem with was getting the filament choke in place to hold the current without getting too hot.

Past that, they worked fine.. and the choke only had to be mounted securely then it was fine too.

 They did like a fair amount of free air.. and yes, I drove them, but then I kept threatening to replace them with a pair of 4-400s if they didn't work for their supper. They did.

  Used a pole pig for the HV, with a pair of solid diode stacks from a broadcast station tx, that didn't need them any longer. The caps were stacked and balanced with r's and bypassed with little c's. I didn't use mine on 160.. but that wasn't for lack of want to... more a case of don't dare... too close to too many folks.. besides the 21 mc if tv next door was having a tuff time dealing with my driver.. much less the amp... with the antenna only 35 - 40 feet away...

  I could look out my window, watch the tv for the most distortion as I tuned up... worked great as a remote field strength meter...

  as long as I didn't try that during "As the World Turns" .. the lady of the house didn't bother me... and the fellow there was at work.. so .. they didn't need to buy a new tv.. as long as I remembered when the show was on.

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy