Are 813's suitable for HF SSB?

Meir WF2U wf2u at WS19OPS.COM
Thu Feb 26 09:17:34 EST 2009

Any tube, if operated within the specifications (bias, dissipation
etc.) is capable of/suitable to be used as a linear amplifier, whether
it's for audio or HF SSB (provided it also specified for the desired
operating frequency).
There are more modern tubes which are specifically designed for
producing less IMD (intermod in brief) products at maximum rated power
output in the class of operation normally associated with SSB linear
service (AB1). As long as the power is withing the tube design
parameters, and the amp is not overdriven, the the IMD is really not a
problem, even with older, tubes before the SSB era.
Tubes are designed "optimized" for SSB service only because some
commercial requirements for certain IMD parameters.
The 813 makes a nice, relatively inexpensive linear amplifier. In fact
I have a 2 x 813 homebrew linear amplifier covering from 20M through
10M someone built from the GE tube application notes. Puts out 500W
but it'll load with no strain to 600W PEP output on SSB.
The 1 KW PEP you're referring to is input power, which is about right
for AB1 operation efficiency.
Whoever is claiming that the 813 is not suitable for linear amplifier
service, doesn't know what they're talking about.
BTW for many years I made my living designing high power linear tube
amplifiers for LF, HF and VHF...

73, Meir WF2U
Landrum, SC