First HT

Brian Sherwood ka9egw at BRITEWERKZ.COM
Thu Feb 26 08:43:50 EST 2009

They were the primary reason the fire chief needed an aide.

KA9EGW

-----Original Message-----
From: Boat Anchor Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of Todd, KA1KAQ
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 08:20
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: First HT

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Brian Sherwood <ka9egw at britewerkz.com>
wrote:
> Before the HT-200 "brick", there were a number of Motorola and other brand
> hand-carry one-channel VHF radios that were somewhat akin to a bag phone,
or
> a very narrow lunch bucket, maybe a foot long, 3" wide and 8" high, with a
> telephone handset, that used a 45V "B" battery and the wire-lead pencil
> tubes.  I think the Hallicrafters version [the "Littelfone" or
"Littlefone"]
> used those tubes too.

I think they were called radio phones or radiofones. Used to see them
on the running boards of fire trucks and other emergency vehicles
along with the handheld lantern cell flashlights. I've got a set of
the big ones, nearly the size of a pizza box, with the little, round
mics attached. Not sure if they're Motorola or not, can't recall.

The HT-200 (tnx fer mode number) was a piece of work; simple layout,
well-built. The solid metal back was most impressive, acting as a heat
sink as well as adding armor to the set. Need to find another one to
add to the trinket collection here.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ

06:43:00