Globe Scout Deluxe

Robert Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Fri Jan 23 16:23:37 EST 2009

Gary Barrell just send me a series of emails and I totally buy his explanation - the wire most probably is nichrome or some other high resistance wire.  There is only about 1-1/2 turn of the 'special' wire on the 22 ohm resistor (which is obviously being used as a 'coil form' for the current shunt).  So thumbs up to Gary.

Bob, WA2CY

________________________________
From: Garey Barrell <k4oah at mindspring.com>
To: Robert Groh <rgroh at SWBELL.NET>
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 3:17:11 PM
Subject: Re: Globe Scout Deluxe

I don't have the "Deluxe" schematic, but the Globe Scout specifies a 56 ohm 1/2W resistor with "special resistance wire" wound on it, (R9).  A resistance of 0.3 ohms would be a VERY small gauge wire.  You would need about 8.7" of #36 copper wire for 0.3 ohms.

73, Garey - K4OAH
Glen Allen, VA

Drake 2-B, 4-B, C-Line & TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>