Shipping to Hawaii

Michael Tauson wh7hg.hi at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 3 20:31:33 EDT 2009

Once more into the breach ...

Apparently there are some misconceptions among mainlanders about
shipping things to Hawaii so I'm going to clear up a few items.

First off, Hawaii is a state.  Some here don't particularly like that,
but it's a fact none the less.  What this means is that customs forms
aren't required and international shipping rates don't apply.  Honest!
 All the former do is cause the local USPS employees to laugh at the
fool who used them, and the latter your local PO shouldn't even
charge.

UPS and FedEx Ground still works (though I'm amazed that their trucks
don't sink) however their rates for shipping to Hawaii lead one to
wonder if they might not have gotten the word about Hawaii's
statehood.  I mean, it's only been 50 years, after all.

USPS Priority flat rate boxes work to Hawaii.  They are the best
possible deal as far as shipping things here goes since they can hold
up to 70 pounds without anyone really caring.  I've noticed that some
of them are even using recycled cardboard so this is just another way
to Go Green.

Buried on a shelving unit to my left is an 18S-4 shipped to me by one
of our number via USPS Parcel Post.  For those who are unaware of
this, the 18S-4 is as big as an ATC (aka: T-47/ART-13) with a weight
in the same ballpark.  The ATC (and it's JAN-numbered brethren) weighs
67 pounds all by its lonesome which puts it under the USPS limits but
adding padding et al tends to bump that up a tad bit.  Removing things
like the audio amp and calibrator/MCW unit (which can ship separately
- maybe in a FRB) help bring the weight down to a more acceptable
level.  As a result, folks, the ATC & ART-13* can be shipped to Hawaii
with no more effort than it takes to ship them elsewhere in the US.
It ain't cheap but those of us who live here already know that part.
It comes with living in the most isolated (in distance, should anyone
mention Antarctica) population center on Earth.

Any questions or comments, please contact me off-list.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael, WH7HG
--