[Boatanchors] 12-24 vdc converters and toroid cores

Michael Tauson wh7hg.hi at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 5 20:18:32 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Brian Clarke
<brianclarke01 at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Go to a truck wrecking yard and get a 24 V alternator. Pick up the 24 V lamp
> bulbs at the same time. The Willys Jeep was specified in 24 V version as was
> the British Land Rover open-top 'convertible'. End of problem - no need for
> carrying extra iron, or heavy ferrites.

Converting the Jeep to 24 volts was the original plan but it didn't
pan out for a variety of reasons, none the least of which is that
civilian equipment manufacturers haven't quite caught on to the
advantages of 24 volt electrical systems and insist on making 12 volt
power supplies.  Another reason is that the 24 volt equipment is
premium since the trucking industry here tends to horde things like
that for their own equipment.  (I also thought about marine and
aircraft but they're worse yet.)  In the end, it winds up a lot
simpler to make some small 12-24 volt converters and park them by the
battery, although upgrading to a nice fat alternator and dual
paralleled batteries (like my old F-250 Diesel) in the process
wouldn't hurt.  Where would battery #2 go?  Well, I don't carry
passengers a lot anyway.  :-)

Best regards,

Michael, WH7HG
--