12-24 vdc converters and toroid cores

Scott Johnson scottjohnson1 at COX.NET
Mon Oct 5 21:34:20 EDT 2009

Why don't you just install a dual voltage alternator?  I have bought three
of them on eBay in the last couple of years. Leece-Neville/Prestolite are
the most common.  Another good techniques is  attaching three wires to the
alternator stator, and bringing them out to three rewound filament
transformers(1:1).  Rectify the resultant out put, and you will have 27-28
VDC to float another  12V battery on top of the vehicle battery.  Or, make
the transformers 1:2 step up and have an independent 28V system.  The 12 V
regulator will keep the output fairly close on the 28 V side.

73,
Scott W7SVJ

-----Original Message-----
From: Boat Anchor Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV] On Behalf Of Michael Tauson
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 4:13 PM
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: [BOATANCHORS-TEMPE] 12-24 vdc converters and toroid cores

Most civilized civilian vehicles have 12 volt electrical systems these days.
Much of the surplus I'd like to use aboard my all to civilized Jeep requires
24vdc.  Building a small but mighty astable multivibrator to handle the
primary and an appropriately wound secondary aren't a problem.  Where I do
have a question or seventeen is core material - and size, for that matter.

I know some materials are expressly for power transformers but is there any
particular reason about any material can't be used for this application?
Frequency shouldn't be an issue but are there materials that might not like
being in the presence of the currents that will be presented?  Aside from
needing space to feed the wires through, are there any size requirements of
note?

I've read what I could find on the web.  Maybe the meds are messing me up
(They do that, you know.) but I couldn't find anything that addressed these
questions.

ANy thoughts anyone?

BEst regards,

Michael, WH7HG