12-24 vdc converters and toroid cores

Edward B Richards zuu6k at JUNO.COM
Mon Oct 5 22:03:20 EDT 2009

Michael;

You did ask for any thoughts from anyone, so here is mine. I have done
this successfully. Install another 12 volt battery. It can be smaller,
like the 18AH they use in scooters. Using relays have both batteries in
parallel when not using the radio for charging. When using the radio flip
a switch that puts them in series with the small one on top. Since only
your radios will be connected to the small one you don't need to worry
about starting current, etc.

Ed   K6UUZ