12 to 24 volt conversion.. MORE

J. Forster jfor at QUIK.COM
Thu Oct 8 12:54:55 EDT 2009

The problem of winding a transformer might be solved using a kludge of
three filament transformers.

First off, you'd need a pair of transformers capable of handling the
needed output power, with the 115 VAC windings connected back-to-back.
Thansformers roughly 115 VAC input and 24 VAC CT @ 10 A would be about
right. One 24 VAC winding would be used to the collectors of the inverter
transistors,m with the CT to +12 VDC. The other 24 VAC winding would be
used w/ a FW half bridge. This isolated 12 - 15 VDC would be stacked on
top of the battery.

The trick is to use a smaller filament transformer, something like 115 VAC
to 6 VAC @ 1A as a feedback winding to ythe transistor bases. All three
115 VAC windings would be connected in parallel.

BTW, it'd likely be more efficient to build a stacking PS like this,
rather than inverting the full power for the load.

FWIW,
-John