12 to 24 volt conversion, the issue of cost

J. Forster jfor at QUIK.COM
Thu Oct 8 12:38:42 EDT 2009

There is quite a difference between 150 W  and 750 W class inverters. The
former are pretty straight forward and can use cheap parts like 2N3055s,
perhaps paralleled. The 750 W units will draw 70+ Amps @ 12 VDC and are a
lot harder. Also, they will flatten a typical car battery in under an
hour.

As to magnetics, for silicon steel common in transformers, the rule of
thumb is 400 W/lb at 60 Hz. so a half pound core will do. More at higher
frequencies. It'd be easier to find an EI core in this size, rather than a
torroid.

For running mil radios, I doubt any regulation would be needed.

FWIW,
-John

[snip]