12 to 24 volt conversion, the issue of cost

Wilson Lamb infomet at EMBARQMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 8 11:24:39 EDT 2009

No flames here, but a suggestion to be reasonable.  Some things may be
beyond your budget, as many are beyond mine!  How much trouble is running
some old junk radios worth?  You can hook up two batteries and run them for
a while...maybe long enough!  A very few bucks spent building a modern radio
or some time learning a digital mode  might bring you more rewards.  The PSK
modes are almost painless and extremely effective.  I struggle to make
myself put out the effort to keep up rather than look back.

Designing a DC-DC converter to deliver 10-30 amps at 24V is not an exercise
for non engineers.  Hefty transistors and cores are needed, as well as
sophisticated regulator circuits.  Sure, you can copy something, but even
that requires some pretty good test equipment and, of course, buying the
components that are modern enough to work well, like good FETs.  I have a
little training and a lot of experience, some of which involved big
transistors turning red hot, and I wouldn't try doing all the magnetics
necessary to do this thing right!

My guess is that the cheap way out is an auxiliary battery big enough to
give you an hour or two of fun, then be clipped across the vehicle system or
recharged at home.  But you have rejected this idea, of course.  Do you have
a generator?  How about building 24V supply big enough for the radios
(easily done with cheap components) and running that on the generator?  You
could make yourself look like a little comm outpost in the jungle...maybe
put up some camo nets!

73,
Wilson, W4BOH
52 yr ham and still having fun