12 to 24 volt conversion, the issue of cost

Michael Tauson wh7hg.hi at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 10 17:42:15 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 5:24 AM, Wilson Lamb <infomet at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> No flames here, but a suggestion to be reasonable.  Some things may be
> beyond your budget, as many are beyond mine!  How much trouble is running
> some old junk radios worth?

I should address this part a bit further.  General aviation finally
wised up and went 24 volt a while back as have a number of pleasure
boats.  Part of those "old junk radios" will be ones extracted from
those selfsame sources so as to monitor HNL's frequencies as well as
some marine channels simultaneously.  Not like a scanner but all at
the same time.  (I'm used to doing that so keeping conversations
separate is no big deal.)  I guess they are junk in some ways but they
aren't all old green boxes that apparently some people detest as much
as they do rabies.

Some will be old green boxes but without dynamotors to start.  I'm
thinking an SEG-15D here as soon as I can make it work right.
(Speaking of which, would someone happen to have a translation for the
panel?  My German is sadly lacking.)

Which reminds me of something.  Is there some horridly outstanding
reason not to design around a 24 volt power source?

Best regards,

Michael, WH7HG
--
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/chapters/NTH/index.aspx